WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team dropped a 7-2 decision in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) matchup with Simmons University (SU) Saturday afternoon on the Hall High School Tennis Courts. With the victory, the Sharks wrap up the regular season with a 7-7 mark (4-3 GNAC), while the Blue Jays finish 5-8 (2-5 GNAC). With the win, Simmons clinched the number four seed in the upcoming GNAC Postseason Tournament, setting up a first round match with the five seed, Colby-Sawyer College on Wednesday, October 16 at 2:00 p.m. The Blue Jays clinched the six seed earlier this week, and will travel to number three Regis College on the same day for a 3:00 p.m. match.
The Sharks swept the doubles matches, 3-0, and sealed the overall victory in number three singles. Seniors Nickie Nguyen (Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam) and Marissa Johnson (Norwell, Mass.) both impressed for the Sharks, winning their doubles match 8-0, and each picking up singles wins in straight sets. It was not without a relentless first set effort from sophomore Jessica McCallister (Bristol, Conn.) and senior captain Domonique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) though, who each lost a tight first set in singles, 7-5.
The two triumphs for the Blue Jays came from freshman Elaina Griffiths (Guilford, Conn.), who snagged another singles win, a close battle with sophomore Sarah Mariski (Portland, Maine), 6-4, 7-5, and sophomore Carolyn Callahan (Southington, Conn.), who battled back to win in a third set tiebreaker, 7-5, 1-6, 10-3.
USJ 2 | SU 7
1. Nickie Nguyen / Marissa Johnson (SU) def. Elaina Griffiths/Jessica McAllister (USJ) 8-0
2. Sarah Mariski / Megan McKeever (SU) def. Carolyn Callahan/Marie Emerson (USJ) 8-5
3. Leah Bonis / Carrie St. Peter (SU) def. Domonique Carnot/Emily Kerr (USJ) 8-3
1. Nickie Nguyen (SU) def. Jessica McAllister (USJ) 7-5, 6-2
2. Marissa Johnson (SU) def. Domonique Carnot (USJ) 7-5, 6-1
3. Leah Bonis (SU) def. Emily Kerr (USJ) 6-1, 6-4
4. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) def. Sarah Mariski (SU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) def. Megan McKeever (SU) 7-5, 1-6, 10-6
6. Libby Weed (SU) def. Elke Moser Melis (USJ) 6-1, 6-3
The USJ women's tennis team clinched the sixth and final spot in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) postseason tournament, which begins Wednesday, October 16. The Blue Jays will play Regis College in the 3-6 matchup at 3:00 p.m. Regis defeated USJ 8-1 at the Hall High School Tennis Courts on October 5.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays