QUINCY, Mass. — The winning streak is over for the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's tennis team, who fell to a well-rounded Eastern Nazarene College (ENC) team, 8-1, Tuesday afternoon in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) match on the ENC Tennis Courts. With the victory, the Lions snap their two-game skid and climb to 5-2 (3-1 GNAC), while the Blue Jays dip to 4-4 (2-2 GNAC). USJ trailed 2-1 heading into singles, but ENC turned it on, sweeping all six singles matches in straight sets.
Freshman Emily Kerr (Portland, Conn.) and senior captain Domonique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) scored the only point for the Blue Jays: an 8-4 win in number three doubles. It was all Lions the rest of the way, turning a 2-1 lead into 8-1 in a heartbeat. Freshman Elke Moser Melis (Nijmegen, Netherlands) battled hard in number six singles, dropping a tight first set, 6-4. The Lions just kept pushing through with no chance of slowing down, as junior Makayla Grantham (Appalachian, N.Y.) handled the second set to win the match, 6-4, 6-1. Sophomore Carolyn Callahan (Southington, Conn.) and freshman Elaina Griffiths (Guilford, Conn.) also won four games in a set each. Junior Emily Ruttkowski (Castrop-Rauxel, Germany) was impressive all the way, winning in shutout sets, 6-0, 6-0 for ENC.
USJ 1 | ENC 8
1. Magdalena Hubel/Emily Ruttkowski (ENC) def. Elaina Griffiths/Jessica McAllister (USJ) 8-4
2. Veronica Jimenez/Sharon Biondi (ENC) def. Marie Emerson/Carolyn Callahan (USJ) 8-1
3. Emily Kerr/Domonique Carnot (USJ) def. Maria Busila/Makayla Grantham (ENC) 8-4
1. Sharon Biondi (ENC) def. Jessica McAllister (USJ) 6-2, 6-0
2. Emily Ruttkowski (ENC) def. Domonique Carnot (USJ) 6-0, 6-0
3. Magdalena Hubel (ENC) def. Elaina Griffiths (USJ) 6-1, 6-4
4. Maria Busila (ENC) def. Emily Kerr (USJ) 6-1, 6-1
5. Veronica Jimenez (ENC) def. Carolyn Callahan (USJ) 6-4, 6-0
6. Makayla Grantham (ENC) def. Elke Moser Melis (USJ) 6-4, 6-1
The USJ women's tennis team will be back home for another Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) matchup, this time against Colby-Sawyer on Saturday, September 28, at 12:00 p.m. at the Hall High School Tennis Courts.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays