NEWTON, Mass. - In its final Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) match of the season, the University of Saint Joseph tennis team toppled the Mount Ida Mustangs, 9-0, on the road to secure a spot in the GNAC postseason tournament for the fifth consecutive season. The victory improves the Blue Jays record to 4-6 overall on the year and 2-4 in conference play, while Mount Ida slips to 1-9 and 0-5.
The Blue Jays dropped just two games in doubles action to race out to an early 3-0 lead, and would never look back en route to recording their second shutout of the season on Wednesday. Sophomore Domonique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) and freshman Emily McAllister (Bristol, Conn.) opened doubles play by blanking the Mustangs, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles. Junior Ashley Savino (Bristol, Conn.) and freshman Catherine Baum (Bolton, Conn.) followed with an 8-1 victory at No. 2 doubles and then the junior duo of Lucy Roberge (Willington, Conn.) and Leah Nguyen (West Hartford, Conn.) downed their opponents, 8-1, in the No. 1 doubles position.
USJ didn't take its foot off the pedal in singles action. Reigning GNAC Rookie of the Week, Emily McAllister, registered a double bagel (6-0, 6-0) victory in the No. 6 singles slot as did Nguyen in the No. 2 singles position to lockup the win for the Blue Jays. Savino followed on court three with a 7-5, 6-0 straight set victory and Roberge would put USJ up 7-0 after posting a perfect 6-0, 6-0 win on the lead court. Baum and Carnot each finished off their opponents with 8-1 victories to secure the shutout in the No. 4 and No. 5 slots, respectively.
The win guarantees the Blue Jays a spot in the 2017 GNAC postseason tournament for the fifth straight season. They will be the No. 5 seed and play on the road at the No. 4 seed Simmons/Suffolk in the GNAC First Round match to be played on Wednesday, Oct. 18.
The USJ tennis team will be back in action next when they wrap up the regular season this Saturday at MCLA. First serve is slated for 1 p.m.
1. Lucy Roberge (USJCT) defeated Ginger Boodakian (IDA), 6-0, 6-0
2. Leah Nguyen (USJCT) defeated Molly O'Donnell (IDA), 6-0, 6-0
3. Ashley Savino (USJCT) defeated Cierra Peaslee (IDA), 7-5, 6-0
4. Catherine Baum (USJCT) defeated Yuliana Chairez (IDA), 8-1
5. Domonique Carnot (USJCT) defeated Amanda Garner (IDA), 8-1
6. Emily McAllister (USJCT) defeated Hannah Bassett (IDA), 6-0, 6-0
1. Lucy Roberge/Leah Nguyen (USJCT) defeated Ginger Boodakian/Molly O'Donnell (IDA), 8-1
2. Ashley Savino/Catherine Baum (USJCT) defeated Cierra Peaslee/Amanda Garner (IDA), 8-1
3. Domonique Carnot/Emily McAllister (USJCT) defeated Yuliana Chairez/Hannah Bassett (IDA), 8-0