WEST HARTFORD, Conn. - The University of Saint Joseph was stopped by the Suffolk University Rams, 7-2, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women's tennis match at home on the USJ Tennis Courts on Saturday afternoon. The setback drops the Blue Jays to 3-6 overall and 1-4 in GNAC play, while Suffolk wins its fifth straight match and improves to 7-4 and 3-1.
Juniors Lucy Roberge (Willington, Conn.) and Leah Nguyen (West Hartford, Conn.) defeated their opponents, 8-6, in the No. 1 doubles slot, but the Rams would get victories in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions to take a 2-1 advantage into singles competition. It marks the third straight win for the tandem of Roberge and Nguyen on the season.
Suffolk would rattle off five consecutive singles wins to seal the 7-2 conference triumph. Senior Jacquelyn Nakamura (Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.) started the action with a golden match (6-0, 6-0) in the sixth slot versus freshman Alivia Castle (Bristol, Conn.). Keeley Hardy (Charleston, S.C.) took down junior Ashley Savino (Old Saybrook, Conn.) 6-1, 6-0, on court three and junior Delaney Dunlap (Hingham, Mass.) secured the victory with a 6-4, 6-0, decision at No. 1 singles over Roberge.
Sophomore Danlyn Medou (Inglewood, Calif.) registered a 6-1, 6-0 win on court four over sophomore Domonique Carnot (Meriden, Conn.) and junior Elena Cisneros Garcia (Barcelona, Spain) put together a together a 6-1, 6-4, win over Nguyen in the second singles position to wrap up the scoring for the visitors.
The Blue Jays earned their second point of the match as freshman Emily McAllister (Bristol, Conn.) defeated junior Meagan French (Newton, N.H.) in a three-set thriller 2-6, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 5 singles.
The USJ tennis team will be back in action next on Wednesday when it hits the road for its final GNAC match of the season at Mount Ida. First serve is slated for 3:30 p.m. in the win-and-in match to decide the final spot for the 2017 GNAC Tennis Postseason Tournament.
1. Delaney Dunlap (SUF) defeated Lucy Roberge (USJCT), 6-4, 6-0
2. Elena Cisneros Garcis (SUF) defeated Leah Nguyen (USJCT), 6-1, 6-4
3. Keely Hardy (SUF) defeated Ashley Savino (USJCT), 6-1, 6-0
4. Danlyn Medou (SUF) defeated DomniqueCarnot (USJCT), 6-1, 6-0
5. Emily McAllister (USJCT) defeated Meagan French (SUF), 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
6. Jacquelyn Nakamura (SUF), defeated Alivia Castle (USJCT), 6-0, 6-0
1. Lucy Roberge/Leah Nguyen (USJCT) defeated Elena Cisneros Garcia/Danlyn Medou (SUF), 8-6
2. Delaney Dunalp/Keely Hardy (SUF) defeated Ashley Savino/Domonique Carnot (USJCT), 8-4
3. Meagan French/Jacquelyn Nakamura (SUF) defeated Emily McAllister/Alivia Castle (USJCT), 8-1