WEST HARTFORD, Conn. - Juniors Veronika Latawiec (Newington, Conn.) and Gabriella Alberino (East Haven, Conn.) each finished in the top-10 to lead the University of Saint Joseph swimming and diving team at the Blue Jay Pentathlon Invitational inside Bruyette Natatorium Friday evening.
What: Blue Jay Pentathlon Invitational
Who: USJ, Western New England, Eastern Connecticut, Rhode Island College
Location: West Hartford, Conn. – Bruyette Natatorium
Date: Friday, October 27, 2017
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The meet consisted of eight events - five individual events and three relays.
- The pentathlon was comprised of five 100-yard events (100 back, 100 breast, 100 fly, 100 free, 100 IM) and 29 swimmers competed in all five legs.
- Latawiec was consistent, finishing in the top-10, across all five pentathlon events to record a fourth place overall finish with a combined total time of 5:53.72 to lead the way for USJ.
- Her best result came in the 100 IM where she swam to a fifth place finish with a time of 1:10.38.
- Latawiec also posted a sixth place finish in the 100 back with a time of 1:07.97, seventh place finishes in the 100 breast and 100 free with respective times of 1:20.18 and 1:02.49, and a 10th place result in the 100 fly with a personal-best mark of 1:12.70.
- Alberino recorded top-10 finishes in both the 100 IM and the 100 fly to help her secure a 10th place overall finish in the pentathlon.
- She finished sixth in the 100 IM with a time of 1:10.93 and touched the wall ninth in the 100 fly with a collegiate-best time of 1:12.60.
- Also competing in all five pentathlon events was sophomore Leah Verrillo (Cheshire, Conn.) (15th), sophomore Taylor Houghtaling (East Hartford, Conn.) (18th), junior Elizabeth Sears (Bristol, Conn.) (19th), and junior Richelle DiFronzo (Naugatuck, Conn.) (27th).
- Verillo swam to personal-best times in the 100 fly (1:22.81), 100 breast (1:38.87) and 100 free (1:11.52).
- Houghtaling posted collegiate-best times in four-of-five legs, swimming to a time of 1:25.36 in the 100 back, 1:39.49 in the 100 breast, 1:25.27 in the 100 fly and 1:21.23 in the 100 IM.
- Sears also notched career-best times in four events at the meet with new personal-best standards in the free (1:16.20), back (1:22.07), fly (1:29.19) and IM (1:22.86).
- DiFronzo logged personal records in the 100 back (1:53.08), 100 breast (1:50.82) and the 100 IM (1:43.11).
The USJ swimming and diving team will return back to the pool next on Saturday, Nov. 4 at the Louise Goodrum Invitational hosted by UMass Dartmouth. The meet is scheduled to kickoff at 12 p.m.