WEST HARTFORD, Conn. - Junior guard Raelynn Voislow (Windsor Locks, Conn.) scored 11 first-quarter points, and with a pair of Blue Jays with double-doubles at her side, the University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's basketball team defeated Anna Maria College (AMC) in dominant fashion, 60-42, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) matchup in the O'Connell Center Tuesday evening.
Voislow scored as many points in the first quarter as the entire AMC team (11), dropping a game-high 16 points. She also grabbed eight rebounds. Freshman forward Meredith Forman (Bristol, Conn.) had her first career double-double (14 PTS, 13 REB). Her teammate on the front line, junior forward Deanna De La Cruz (Winsted, Conn.) matched Forman with a double-double of her own (11 PTS, 10 REB). Junior guard Franchesca Hammond (Worcester, Mass.) led the way for the AMCATS with 11 points.
The Blue Jays built a double-digit first half lead, and maintained control throughout the contest.
Score: Saint Joseph 60, Anna Maria 42
Records: USJ (11-13, 3-7 GNAC) Lasell (6-18, 2-8 GNAC)
Location: O'Connell Athletic Center | West Hartford, Conn.
COACH QUOTE [Wendy Davis]
"We played very well today as a team. Many great stats to take away from this one—19 assists and 12 turnovers, we won every quarter, two rebounds shy of three double-doubles. We executed our gameplan. It was a fun win for the team."
- Voislow hit three long-balls in the first quarter, giving the Blue Jays an early double-digit lead, 21-9. They led 21-11 after one.
- Saint Joseph got back-to-back-to-back layups to open the second quarter, one from Forman and De La Cruz each. The lead was 16, 27-11, with 7:33 left in the half.
- USJ kept the foot on the gas pedal, refusing to let the AMCATS get back in the game. Both teams traded baskets back and forth, but AMC never recovered.
NUMBER TO KNOW
12 – The Blue Jays had just 12 turnovers, the second fewest this season (9, Bay Path).
- USJ had 19 assists on 24 made baskets.
- Saint Joseph outrebounded Anna Maria, 49-35.
- The AMCATS scored just six points in the fourth quarter. That is the fewest points the Blue Jays have allowed in a fourth quarter this season.
The USJ women's basketball team will close the 2019-2020 season with the 'Hoops for Hounds' doubleheader with the men's team, taking on Colby-Sawyer at 1:00 p.m. on February 22. The men play at 3:30 p.m in the O'Connell Center.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays