WEST HARTFORD, Conn.— The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's basketball dropped its Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) home opener in an all-out wrestling match with Norwich University (NU), 44-28, inside the O'Connell Center Saturday afternoon.
Junior guard Riley Bennett (Hopkinton, N.H.) led all scorers with 21 points (8-16 FG), hitting a series of tough midrange shots at the end to clinch the win. Junior forward Kailynne Frederick (Adams, Mass.) was dominant inside, scoring six points and grabbing a season-high 20 rebounds. Sophomore guard Silvana Barcomb (Middletown, Conn.) led the way for the Blue Jays with 10, the only one in double figures.
This physical back-and-forth tussle was tied at 28 with just over seven minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Cadets capped the quarter on a 16-0 run, as sophomore guard Sandra Carlsten (Bandhagen, Sweden) got hot late to get the run going.
Score: Saint Joseph 28, Norwich 44
Records: USJ (8-8, 0-3 GNAC) Norwich (4-10, 1-2 GNAC)
Location: O'Connell Center | West Hartford, Conn.
- Saint Joseph held the narrow edge after one quarter, 9-7, finishing the quarter on a 7-0 run, five of which came from junior captain Raelynn Voislow (Windsor Locks, Conn.).
- The Cadets and Blue Jays were tied, 18-18, at the half. The second half became a stalemate, as both offenses struggled to get going. Bennett scored all eight points for the Cadets in the third to take a 26-23 lead into the fourth.
- With the game tied at 28, NU suddenly caught fire, as Carlsten and Bennett combined for 14 of the final 16 points to steamroll past USJ for a 44-28 triumph.
NUMBER TO KNOW
50 – The Cadets had 50 rebounds, 20 from Frederick, outrebounding Saint Joseph 50-37.
- This marks the first time this season the Blue Jays have lost a game after allowing single digits in the first quarter (3-1).
- Bennett shot just 1-of-16 from the field in her last game against Lasell. She was 8-of-16 against USJ Saturday.
- The Blue Jays shot a season-low 18% from the floor (10-55).
The Blue Jays will be back home again on Tuesday, January 21 for a 5:00 p.m. matchup against GNAC opponent Johnson & Wales.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays