WEST HARTFORD, Conn.— The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) women's basketball team made it back-to-back wins for the fourth time this season, dominating Pratt Institute (PI), 66-36, inside the O'Connell Center Wednesday night in non-conference competition.
Sophomore guard Silvana Barcomb (Middletown, Conn.) led the way for the Blue Jays with 13 points on 3-of-4 from downtown. She also had four rebounds. Sophomore forward Deanna De La Cruz (Winsted, Conn.) had her second career double-double (11 PTS, 10 REB), while sophomore forward Cheyenne-Mone Smith (Wethersfield, Conn.) added 11. Freshman guard Beverlee Caraway (Pryor, Okla.) was sensational for the Cannoneers, leading all scorers with 20 points on 5-of-11 from three, but she was the only Pratt player in double figures. USJ led all the way, scoring the first 18 points of the game.
Score: Saint Joseph 66, Pratt 36
Records: USJ (8-4), PI (2-7)
Location: O'Connell Athletic Center – West Hartford, Conn.
PLAYER QUOTE [Silvana Barcomb]
"It was a great team win. We had multiple people with points on the board, and I think everyone came out with good energy, cheering for each other, and just working hard."
COACH QUOTE [Wendy Davis]
"We are really supporting each other no matter who is in the game, the bench is really into it, and that is very important. We are playing pretty well, and we are at a point where Saturday [Suffolk] really matters now."
- The Blue Jays opened the game up on an 18-0 run, which included one of three 'Barcomb Bombs' from Silvana Barcomb, and numerous steals off the Blue Jays' 2-2-1 full-court press. Pratt did not score its first field goal until the final 25 seconds of the quarter.
- A 19-5 run to start the second quarter put the game away, as the Blue Jays took a commanding 37-9 lead. Barcomb scored 11 of her 13 in the first half.
NUMBER TO KNOW
19 – The Blue Jays had 19 assists on 26 field goals. It's the second most assists they have had in a game this season (20, Pine Manor).
- 10 players scored for Saint Joseph, three in double figures.
- Caraway was 7-for-16 from the field (44%). The rest of the Cannoneers shot 6-for-48 (13%).
- USJ held a sizeable margin in rebounds (54-31), points in the paint (38-14), and bench points (19-4).
Great Northeast Athletic Conference play kicks off this Saturday, January 11 as the Blue Jays start a three-game road trip, first against Suffolk at 4:00 p.m. The game will be held at the Bobbi Brown & Steven Plofker Gym, on the campus of Emerson College, in Boston, Mass.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays