WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – The University of Saint Joseph women's basketball team dropped a 57-38 decision at home to the Norwich University Cadets on Thursday evening inside the O'Connell Center. Senior Rajeen Mayo (Middletown, Conn.) led the way for the Blue Jays with a game-high 15 points and team-best nine rebounds.
Score: University of Saint Joseph – 38, Norwich University – 57
Records: USJ (7-9, 2-6 GNAC), NU (7-9, 4-5 GNAC)
Location: West Hartford, Conn. – O'Connell Center
Date: Thursday, January 25, 2018
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams struggled offensively to start the game with the Cadets holding an 8-1 lead halfway through the opening quarter.
- Norwich held the Blue Jays without a field goal for the opening 7:11 of the contest before freshman Shaniyah Williams (New Britain, Conn.) finally broke through with a layup to make it 8-3.
- After Norwich's freshman Riley Bennett (Hopkinton, N.H.) drained a jumper on the Cadets' next possession, USJ rattled off a 4-0 spurt to pull within 10-7.
- USJ would get within 2 (11-9) after a lay-in from junior Dhimitra Hatika (South Windsor, Conn.) with just over a minute left to play in the quarter, but that would be as close as they would get for the remainder of the game as NU led wire-to-wire.
- The Cadets took a 14-11 edge into the second frame but outscored the Blue Jays 15-2 in the second period to enter the halftime break ahead 29-13.
- Norwich built a 20-point lead with a 6-2 run to start the third quarter powered by four straight points from senior Shyann Josler (Thetford Center, Vt.).
- The Blue Jays trimmed the deficit to 38-25 over the next four minutes, but couldn't get any closer than 13 as Norwich led 42-27 heading into the final stanza.
- The Cadets increased their lead to 22 (51-29), their largest of the game, with 7:05 left to play in regulation before USJ made one last push with a 4-0 spurt to get within 51-33.
- That would be as close as they would get though as the Cadets' defense closed out the contest to pick up their fourth GNAC win of the season, 57-38.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mayo led the Blue Jays for the second straight game with a game-high 15 points and added a team-best nine rebounds.
- Williams was the next high scorer for USJ with six points to go with four rebounds, a pair of blocks and two assists.
- Josler posted a team-high 14 points for the Cadets and added four steals and four assists, while junior Emily Oliver (Sagamore Hills, Ohio) grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds.
- Bennett finished with an eight-point, eight-rebound, and four-assist night for the visitors.
- The Cadets won the battle on the boards as a team, 55-43, while shooting 32.8 percent (20-of-61) from the field to USJ's 22.4 percent (15-of-67).
The USJ women's basketball team will look to bounce back when they return to the hardwood next on Saturday, Jan. 27 at home against Rivier. The GNAC tilt is slated for tip-off at 1:00 p.m. Norwich is also back in action on Saturday against GNAC opponent Lasell at home at 3:00 p.m.