WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – The University of Saint Joseph women's basketball team used high-pressure defense to force 33 turnovers to defeat the Lynx of Lesley University Tuesday night in the O'Connell Center, 67-43. An early 10-point lead out of the gate set the tone for the Blue Jays as they led wire-to-wire to improve to 3-1 on the young season. Senior Kayla Guest (Newington, Conn.) was the night's dominating force with 18 points, 11 rebounds and 8 steals to record her first double-double of the season.
Score: University of Saint Joseph – 67, Lesley – 43
Records: USJ (3-1), LESLEY (0-4)
Location: West Hartford, Conn. – O'Connell Center
Date: Tuesday, November 21, 2017
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Rajeen Mayo (Middletown, Conn.) started the night off for the Blue Jays scoring within the first two minutes of the game.
- The Blue Jays maintained a dominate lead over Lynx of Lesley University for the majority of the first quarter.
- Sophomore Cassidy Wygonik (Madison, Conn.) made the first two points for the Lynx at the free throw line.
- With one second left in the first quarter, freshman Anna Chevarella (Derby, Conn.) drained one of her two shots from the line, bringing the score at the end of the first to 19-10.
- The second quarter started with a layup by the freshman Shaniyah Williams (New Britain, Conn.), increasing the Blue Jay's lead to 22-10.
- Lesley responded quickly with a layup of their own from Wygonik.
- At the end of the second quarter the USJ Blue Jays led the visiting team by seven points, 29-22, heading into the locker rooms.
- The third quarter started off with two shots from the line from Mayo. She knocked down 1-of-2 shots, increasing the Blue Jays lead to 10 points, 32-22.
- Junior Kenya Anselme (Hartford, Conn.) hit a big 3-pointer increasing the Blue Jays lead to 36-22 halfway through the third period.
- A layup from Abby Henderson (Rochester, N.Y.) added the first points of the quarter for the Lynx.
- A 3-pointer from the Lynx at the end of the third brought them within 15-points, 48-33, heading into the final period.
- The final quarter started off with a surge from the Lynx. They netted four-points in the first few minutes of the quarter, but it wasn't enough to catch the Blue Jays. The final score on the night was 67-43.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Three players finished with double digit points on the night for USJ. Guest showed her authority on the court with a game-high 18 points. Chevarella and classmate Raelynn Voislow (Windsor Locks, Conn.) also contributed to the Blue Jays' winning night with 12 points each.
- Junior Diamond Wallen (Hartford, Conn.) and Guest both grabbed in a team-high 11 rebounds, while Guest also added eight steals and three assists to her stat line.
- The Blue Jays' defense forced 33 turnovers which they converted into 28 points in the win.
- Wygonik paced the Lynx with a big double-double dropping in 18 points and grabbing a game-high 14 boards.
- Dakota Jones (Torrance, Calif.) added eight points and 10 rebounds for the visitors.
- The Blue Jays shot 31.8% (28-88) from the field to Lesley's 29.8% (14-47).
The USJ women's basketball team will return to the court next on Sunday when they travel down the road to take on intrastate rival Trinity. Tip-off is slated for 12:30 p.m. between the Blue Jays and the Bantams.