HOLYOKE, Mass. – The University of Saint Joseph women's basketball team cruised to a 79-36 victory in its season opener against Bay Path on the road on Wednesday evening inside the Bartley Center at Holyoke Community College. The Blue Jays led wire-to-wire en route to securing their fifth season-opening win in the past five seasons and second straight under second-year head coach Brandon Gade. Four players scored in double figures to power USJ to victory.
Score: University of Saint Joseph – 79, Bay Path – 36
Records: USJ (1-0), BPU (0-1)
Location: Holyoke, Mass. – Bartley Center at Holyoke Community College
Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2017
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior forward Kayla Guest (Newington, Conn.) made a jumper on the Blue Jays opening possession and USJ would never trail en route to the 79-36 victory.
- USJ raced out to a 14-0 lead and kept the Wildcats scoreless over the opening 5:40 of the game.
- They would close the first quarter with another big run (14-3) to take a commanding 28-3 advantage at the end of the period.
- The Blue Jays didn't take their foot off the pedal in the second quarter and built a 48-13 lead heading into the break at halftime. Guest led all scorers at the half with 11 points.
- USJ outscored Bay Path 22-8 in the third quarter to diminish any thought of a comeback by the Wildcats and led 70-21 heading into the final period.
- Bay Path won the final quarter, 15-9, but the game was never in question as USJ went on for the 79-36 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Four players finished in double figures for USJ led by Guest and freshman Raelynn Voislow (Windsor Locks, Conn.) who each posted a game-high 15 points.
- Senior Rajeen Mayo (Middletown, Conn.) drained 13 points and freshman Anna Chevarella (Derby, Conn.) sunk 13 off the bench.
- Guest added a game-high nine rebounds and five steals to her stat line in just 21 minutes of floor time.
- Voislow dished out a game-high five assists and also swiped four steals on the night.
- Emmeline Bronson (Shelton, Conn.) and Kaylee Herring (Worcester, Vt.) led the way for Bay Path with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- USJ outshot Bay Path 52.5% (32-61) to 35.0% (14-40) from the field and forced 35 Wildcats turnovers.
- The Blue Jays held a significant 44-16 edge in points in the paint, but were outrebounded 34-30.
The USJ women's basketball team is back in action next with the 20th Annual USJ Tip-Off Tournament hosted by the Blue Jays on Friday and Saturday. USJ will open the tournament on Friday evening at 6 p.m. inside the O'Connell Center playing in the first game against the College of Saint Joseph Fighting Saints. Fitchburg State and Newbury are the other two teams in the tournament and will play following the bout between the Blue Jays and Fighting Saints. Please see the official tournament page for a complete breakdown of the tournament schedule.