NEW HAVEN, Conn. — The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) men's swimming and diving team fell to Elms College (EC), 116-86 in a neutral site dual meet, hosted by Albertus Magnus College (AMC) Friday evening. The Blue Jays will be back in their home pool next on Saturday, November 23 when they host Great Northeast Athletic Conference member Colby-Sawyer in a dual meet at 11:00 a.m.
USJ picked up wins in the 200 Yard Freestyle, 100 Butterfly, 200 Backstroke, 200 Individual Medley (IM), and 200 Free Relay. Sophomore Jacob Wyse (Broad Brook, Conn.) took four of those five Blue Jay wins (one shared). The Blazers, however, triumphed in eight events, more than enough to take the overall final score by 30 points.
Score: Saint Joseph 86, Elms 116
Location: Cosgrove Marcus Messer Athletic Center | New Haven, Conn.
- The Blazers won four of the first five events, allowing them to mitigate the gap, despite Wyse and the Blue Jays coming on late in the meet.
- Sophomore Brendan Lynch (Watertown, Conn.) narrowly missed his first win of the season, placing second in the 50 Freestyle by .1 seconds to freshman Ryan Nodell of Elms.
- Wyse won two of the last three events (one shared), including the 200 IM.
NUMBER TO KNOW
25.4 – Average margin of victory (seconds) for Wyse, who won three singles events and one team event.
- Freshman Aaron Gauvin (Berlin, Conn.) was the first to triumph for USJ, not Wyse, as Gauvin took home the win in the 200 Free in 2:08.30, nearly one second ahead of second place.
- USJ captured the 200 Free Relay, the final men's event, in 1:43.17, with a team of Gauvin, sophomore team captain Jack Monroe (Waterbury, Conn.) Lynch and Wyse.
The Blue Jays will be back in their home pool on Saturday, November 23 when they host Colby-Sawyer at 11:00 a.m. in the Bruyette Natatorium.
Follow USJ Athletics
For the latest on University of Saint Joseph athletics, follow the Blue Jays on social media on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
Fans can also download the USJ Front Row Mobile App and subscribe to our Newsletter and Text Alerts. #FearTheFlock #GoBlueJays