WEST HARTFORD, Conn. — The University of Saint Joseph (USJ) men's basketball team got back-to-back wins for the first time this season, dominating Lesley University (LU), 96-57, inside the O'Connell Center Saturday afternoon.
The question raised after the Blue Jays' win Tuesday night was whether or not they could back up one good performance with another. Sophomore guard Tyree Mitchell (East Hartford, Conn.) did just that, scoring a career-high 17 points on 7-of-8 shooting in his first career start. He also had four assists. Sophomore forward Ryan O'Neill (Litchfield, Conn.) was unstoppable in the first half, where he scored 15 of his 18 points. Junior forward Chase Howard (San Diego, Calif.) led the way for the Lynx with 19 points (6-13 FG). USJ took a 14-4 lead in the first five minutes, and led by double digits the rest of the way.
Score: Saint Joseph 96, Lesley 57
Records: USJ (3-2), LU (0-8)
Location: O'Connell Center | West Hartford, Conn.
PLAYER QUOTE [Tyree Mitchell]
"The coaches have really been educating me in practice, telling me to work hard, and that my time will come. I am a believer in that. As long as I work hard, I trust the coaches to get to where I need to be."
COACH QUOTE [Glen Miller]
"I thought we came out and defended and shared the ball with each other very well for much of the first half. After that, it was just a matter of trying to get better. The defense was disappointing in the second half, but overall it was a good win."
- Five different Blue Jays combined for 14 points in the first five minutes, giving USJ a 14-4 lead. A dunk from sophomore captain Jake Sullivan (Branford, Conn.) made it a 10-point game.
- After leading by just one, 5-4, the Blue Jays went on a 46-14 run to close the half, as O'Neill hit three first-half three-pointers. 51-18 USJ at the break.
- The Lynx never quit, give them credit, scoring 39 in the second half, as Howard and senior guard Treyvon Trent (Virginia Beach, Va.) combined for 24 in the second to lead the way for Lesley.
NUMBER TO KNOW
13 - The number of three-pointers the Blue Jays have made in the last two games. They only made 9-of-42 the previous three games. In each of the last two games, they have also made four threes in the first 9 minutes.
- USJ controlled nearly every statistical category, including points in the paint (52-22), points off turnovers (23-9), second chance points (17-2), and fast break points (18-4).
- USJ led by as many as 43.
- The Lynx had three players in double figures. The Blue Jays had four.
- All 13 players who got floor time in the game scored for the Blue Jays. Everyone played at least 10 minutes.
- Saint Joseph is now 2-0 all-time against LU.
Men's hoops remain home for the third of a four-game homestand in the O'Connell Center on Tuesday night against Elms College in another non-conference contest. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. Tickets can be purchased here.