September/October Pool Schedule **REVISED 10/9/15**
Please be advised that the USJ Diving Team will utilize lanes 3&4 of the pool at various unscheduled times.
Blue Jay Aquatics
For questions or information about our swim programs including masters swimming, swimming lessons, swim team, private lessons, or lifeguard certification/re-certification, please contact Aquatic Director Leandra Manos at 860.231.5425 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Blue & Gold Swim School
Winter 2015 Registration Info to be posted week of 10/12/15! Check back soon!
Junior Jays - FALL 2015 Registrations NOW OPEN!
Junior Jays is a pre/beginner-level swim team coached by the University of Saint Joseph Swimming & Diving team members and serves as a team fundraiser. Participants meet for 1 hour per day once a week for a set number of weeks.
JUNIOR JAYS WILL BE HELD ON WEDNESDAYS in SEPT & OCT 2015.
Lifeguarding Initial Certification & Lifeguard Recertification classes offered year round!
American Red Cross Lifeguarding classes offered year round to individuals ages 15 and over. Cost for initial Lifeguarding is $350 ($250 for USJ students with ID) and includes the Lifeguard manual in PDF format and the CPR masks for infants and child/adult. Cost for Recertifcation is $150 - bring your own CPR mask (or available for purchase for $15.00).
Class registrants must be able to pass the following pre-requisites on the first day in order to continue with the class:
- 300 yard continuous swim freestyle and breastroke
- 2 minutes of treading water in the deep end using only the legs
- Timed task… swim 20 yards, retrieve a 10-lb brick in 7-10 feet of water, resurface, keep 2 hands on the brick at or above the surface of the water, kick 20 yards back to wall… climb out without using stairs or ladder… stand up. Task must be completed in 1 minute and 40 seconds.
In order to pass the course, participants must attend and participate in ALL class sessions, pass a practical final exam, and score at least 80% on two written multiple choice exams.
NEXT CLASS: Sept 20 (9AM-4pm), Sept 27 (9AM-4pm), Oct 11 (9AM-4pm), Oct 12 (Columbus Day, 9AM-12:30pm), Oct 18th (9AM-4pm). Reserve your spot today!
Blue Jay Masters – Wednesday & Friday Mornings, 6:30-7:30 a.m., Starting September 3rd!
Swimming is one of the most popular forms of exercise in the United States. An estimated 2 million Americans enjoy competitive swimming and an estimated 9 million Americans are fitness swimmers.
Anyone age 18 and over who is interested in Fitness Swimming, Competition, Open Water, or Triathlons is welcome to join Blue Jay Masters. Requirements to join are:
1) Must be a member of the O’Connell Athletic Center (For membership information, see the MEMBERSHIP tab in the left column)
2) Must be an Individual Member of USMS (For membership information, go to https://www.usms.org/reg/register.php)
3) Pay a small Blue Jay Masters annual fee of $5.00 (this is to cover the fee to register our Workout Group with USMS).
Recreational swimmers looking for a formal practice, former collegiate and High School swimmers, triathletes-in-training, etc. are all welcome. Contact Lmanos@usj.edu for more info.